NEW YORK CITY—MAY 17, 2011—Marriage Equality New York (MENY) announced today the recipients of this year’s Trailblazer Awards being presented on Thursday at their 13th Annual Supporters Gala (www.meny.us/gala).
Awards are being presented across five categories (Community, Celebrity, Political, Law and Media) to individuals and organizations that are fighting on the frontlines for marriage equality in New York State and beyond. Being honored this year are
- Andy & Penelope Hort (Community Trailblazers)
- Michelle Clunie (Celebrity Trailblazer)
- NYS Senator Diane J. Savino (Political Trailblazer)
- Edith “Edie” Windsor (Law Trailblazer)
- Roberta Kaplan, Esq. (Law Trailblazer)
- American Civil Liberties Union-ALCU (Law Trailblazer)
- New York Civil Liberties Union – NYCLU (Law Trailblazer), and
- Paul Schindler (Media Trailblazer)
With a guest list touting some of New York’s elite, including Sir Ari Gold, Sammy Crawford, Susan Herman, Esq. (President of the ACLU), Alphonso David (New York State Deputy Secretary of Civil Rights), Bobby Amirshahi (Vice President of Communications, Time Warner Cable), Troy Masters (Publisher, Gay Community News), the Honorable William K. Schmidt (former councilmember, City of Peekskill, NY), tickets for the A-list event are available for purchase via MENY’s website at www.meny.us/gala. A VIP cocktail hour, which includes performances by Lea Delaria and David Raleigh, will kick off the event at 6:30pm. The awards ceremony will be hosted by Hedda Lettuce and begin around 8:30pm.